Monday, April 12, 2010

It's that time again!

Gardening time, that is!

Only this year I am already encountering problems!

We don't have a tractor, nor a tiller, so we have depended on family with those things to help us out previously. Since we're saving up for a "new" car, and our current ones both need tires, we didn't have the money to soak into a tiller this year ($600+ for a good one!).

Luckily, my PawPaw Edd came and turned my garden plot with a borrowed tractor, but then I was stuck....no way to disc the plot after turning, since Lee's grandpa's tractors are pretty well out of commission, and I don't know anyone else that has one (locally, that is, pretty sure my other grandfather has one, but who wants to drive a tractor for 2 hours from TN to AL just to disc a small garden?).

Thankfully, my uncle borrowed his father's lawn tractor and disker and came to do my plot after he did his and my grandparent's gardens.

------

Now for the kicker....rather than worry about this year after year, Lee and I decided (well, I did, and he kinda sorta agreed, LOL) to do raised beds instead of a traditional ground bed. We have already built the Herb bed, and today I will be planting it, hopefully. Filling it with dirt is the hardest (and most expensive) part. Thankfully I have a lot of loose dirt in the garden bed, and can get free compost from my grandpa's horse ranch! I'll get back to you with pictures!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Amber! Ive really missed seeing you around Sewing Mamas! I hope all is well with you. Cant wait to see pictures of the garden!

    ReplyDelete